Throughout his multi-faceted career, Evans Haile has been dedicated to bringing the Arts, fiscal responsibility, business collaborations, and the general public together in celebration of live performance and the creative process. He has been recognized for his achievements from Moscow to Düsseldorf and from Cape Cod to California. Because of his unique career, Mr. Haile has built a successful network of connections in music, theater, film, radio, television, and the corporate business world. Believing that close community relations go “hand in hand” with successful Arts institutions, he has made educational and outreach programs one of the primary tools in gaining support within a community.
1999- Present THE CAPE PLAYHOUSE, Dennis, MA
Producing Artistic Director (America’s Oldest Professional Summer Theatre)
- Working with a $2.5 Million Dollar annual budget (approximately 80% of operating costs are covered by ticket sales while maintaining a 40% subscription), Mr. Haile has been committed to raising the profile of the Playhouse to a nationally-recognized Arts institution.
- During his tenure, he shepherded the 600-seat Equity Theatre from a “For-Profit” theatre to the “Not- For-Profit” Cape Cod Center for the Arts.
- With over 90 productions, his responsibilities have included: personally overseeing and choosing the six seasonal productions casting Artists, Staff, and Creative Teams, including Equity Artists from Broadway, Television and Film; and negotiating all union contracts. The season includes regional premieres, collaborations with other theatres and the reimagining of classic plays.
- Under Mr. Haile’s tenure: “…Consistent Broadway caliber productions” Boston Globe
“Where the best actors from the American Stage spend their summer” New York Times “Premier Destination to see theatre in New England.” New York Magazine
- Responsibilities included: reorganizing as well as reopening and creating the working infrastructure of the recently shuttered North Shore Music Theatre. The fifth largest theatre in America had been closed due to an estimated $10 Million Dollar debt.
- Created and negotiated all Union contracts (Equity, SDC and musicians), set the initial five show season, including: Economic, Artistic, Backstage, and Technical staff and formats and personally overseeing all details for each production.
- Now in its third season after reopening, The North Shore Music Theatre is an Equity COST, 1500- seat theatre in the round, operating within a $5 Million Dollar Budget.
1995-2002 NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO
Producer / Host WFMT Fine Arts Network — “TOAST OF THE TOWN”
- Ongoing radio series committed to broadcasting all aspects of the performing arts, via live performance, while reaching a wide cross-section of the listening audience.
- “Toast of the Town” proved itself a successful partnership for corporate sponsorship.
- Reaching a National carriage of over 200 stations, Guests Artists included: Comedian Eddie Izzard, five-time Tony Award Winner Audra McDonald, Playwright and Actor Charles Busch, Emmy Winner Fyvush Finkel, Metropolitan Opera Star Dawn Upshaw, Broadway Legend Robert Goulet, Political Pundit Mark Shields, Author and Storyteller Malachy McCourt, Political Satirist Jimmy Tingle, Jazz Artist Ann Hampton Callaway, and Show Business Legend Kitty Carlisle Hart, just to name a few.
- Trained as a Conductor and Pianist, from the age of 18 Mr. Haile has had the opportunity of living and working internationally with major musical organizations, giving him a unique perspective on the Arts and how they resonate in people’s lives.
- Regular Guest Conductor: Boston POPS Orchestra, Orchestra of the Deutsche Oper Am Rhein, Moscow Philharmonic, Melbourne Symphony of Australia. American orchestras include: Milwaukee Symphony, Baltimore Symphony, Toronto Symphony, Seattle Symphony, Florida Orchestra, Pacific Symphony, Grant Park Symphony, New Jersey Symphony, Tulsa Philharmonic, and many others.
- Opera companies include” Seattle Opera, Portland Opera, Tulsa Opera, Washington Opera, Santa Fe Opera, Boston Opera, Canadian Opera. Mr. Haile assisted legendary French Conductor Manuel Rosenthal on Wagner’s “Ring Cycle” for the Seattle Opera, worked closely with Sara Caldwell and the Boston Opera, including joining Ms.Caldwell on three tours of Russia, and was Artistic Advisor and Dramaturge at the Florida Grand Opera in Miami.
2000-Present GAINESVILLE ORCHESTRA, Gainesville, FL
Artistic Director / Music Director
- Reorganized the Artistic and Economic Mission of the Gainesville Orchestra. Under his direction, the Orchestra has doubled its budget, plays to Sold Out houses and is recognized as one of the top three arts institutions in North Central Florida. Mr. Haile was responsible for the “adoption of the Orchestra” by Santa Fe College, where a new Performing Arts Center was built to act as its home.
- The Orchestra was invited to perform at the Kennedy Center. Special Guest Artists have included: Kennedy Center honoree and legendary pianist Leon Fleisher. Produced two commercial CDs, and it is the only Florida Orchestra to be broadcast on Public Radio throughout the region.
- Seasons include: a full orchestral series, a chamber music series, and a school program funded by the State of Florida.
1987–1996 LINCOLN CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS, New York City
Independent Producer / Conductor
- “Magdalena” Heitor Villa-Lobos — Mr. Haile researched/reconstructed and produced and conducted the new performing edition of Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos’ Folk Opera “Magdalena” for Lincoln Center (World Premiere recording for CBS/SONY Masterworks), with subsequent productions in Paris, Melbourne, San Francisco, and Rio to name a few.
- “Babes in Arms” — Collaborated with the Rodgers and Hammerstein office on restoring Rodgers and Hart’s classic “Babes in Arms” (recorded for New World Records), which he produced in concert at Avery Fisher Hall.
“FIFTY MILLION FRENCHMEN” by Cole Porter
Restored and created the performing edition of Cole Porter’s “Fifty Million Frenchmen.” Mr. Haile produced and conducted the centennial presentation of this award-winning show, named “Best Recording of the Year” by USA Today. Optioned for Broadway, subsequent productions were given at the Pittsburgh Public Theatre, as well as productions in London, San Francisco, and Paris.
- “Haile to America” — Mr. Haile toured the country as host, and pianist in “Haile to America,” an irreverent evening of storytelling, historic tidbits and music on American popular culture. Successfully sold out over 55 cities nationwide, and was broadcast over National Public Radio.
- Broadcasting Commentary — NPR’s Fresh Air, Weekend Edition, AIR AMERICA, been featured on CBS’ “Sunday Morning,” WGBH’s “Greater Boston,” to name a few, and produced and hosted “Cape Cod Center for the Arts,” a weekly television show focusing on Arts and Entertainment on the Cape and Islands.
- “Salon Soiree” — A Musical Party hosted by Evans Haile, connecting stories of time, connections, classical music, composers, humor, and fun and how it relates to us all. “If Liberace were witty and sophisticated, rather than campy and silly, you might end up with Haile, a performer never afraid of showmanship, but with enough style to keep excess in check.” The Huffington Post
FLORIDA GRAND OPERA
Dramaturge / Artistic Advisor
Created the “Composer in Residence” program, overseeing the premieres of new works. This included “music in school” initiatives, opera touring programs, and focusing on facilitating American Opera performance. As part of this initiative, he was part of the revitalization of downtown Miami in re-opening the Gussman Center Theatre.
NEW AMSTERDAM THEATRE COMPANY, Town Hall, New York City
Co-Founder / Artistic Director
While finishing his Masters Degree, Mr. Haile began his producing career by co-founding the Award- Winning New Amsterdam Theatre Company at New York’s Historic Town Hall. Ten Years before the “Encores” series at New York’s City Center, the New Amsterdam Theatre was the first company to produce full scale Concert Versions of Great American Musical Works.
- Masters Degree, Juilliard School
- Bachelor Degree, Juilliard School
- High School Diploma, North Carolina School of the Arts